START DATE: SEPTEMBER
Urban Adamah is an educational farm and community center in Berkeley, California that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition, mindfulness, sustainable agriculture, and social action to build loving, just, and sustainable communities. We provide training programs, educational workshops, and community celebrations for more than 15,000 visitors annually.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Farm Associate is responsible for helping to maintain the annual, perennial, and animal production on the Urban Adamah farm. The Farm Associate is also responsible for helping to facilitate volunteers’ work and assist in produce distribution. In addition to working with the Farm Director and Assistant Farm Manager, the Farm Associate will work closely with the Facilities Director, helping to maintain the growing spaces across the site.
The Farm Associate completes farm tasks as requested by the Farm Director. This includes tasks associated with crops, livestock, and general farm maintenance. Areas of concentration include compost, irrigation, supply and material organization, and distribution of our produce, plants, and resources to partner organizations. Additional focus is on record keeping and online organization of farm documents.
The Farm Associate is responsible for helping with Urban Adamah’s farm volunteer programs which take place on Tuesday afternoons and once a month on Sundays. The Farm Hand’s tasks include welcoming, training, and supervising volunteers on site.
The Farm Associate completes administrative tasks as determined by farm needs, Fellowship needs, and general administrative needs. This may include scheduling, purchasing, record keeping and data entry.
You are passionate about Urban Adamah’s mission and have the background and experience to support our thriving Farm with task execution, people skills, and administrative excellence. You are excited to take direction from the senior farm team members and support Urban Adamah’s non-human community members.
We are open to applicants with varying levels and types of experience, provided that the applicant displays the skills required to successfully execute the job described above. You might be a good fit if you possess / demonstrate:
BACKGROUND & INTERESTS:
- You have experience in farming or food justice work
- You enjoy working with your hands, outside, in the soil, in all seasons
- You have successfully trained, managed, and motivated volunteers or have experience in a similar capacity
COMMUNICATION & COLLABORTATION:
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and can collaborate well with a range of colleagues and other stakeholders
- You work well on a team and independently and are comfortable in what is primarily a supporting role, with some opportunities for independence and leadership
PROBLEM SOLVING & ORGANIZATION:
- You are good at managing projects, competing priorities, and can successfully adapt and pivot when urgent issues arise
- Are comfortable maintaining multiple channels of communication (text, email, phone, Slack) and independently managing your workflow to keep projects on track
- You communicate clearly and honestly and are comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- Demonstrate a good balance of self-confidence and humility, can name and make the most of your strengths, and welcome feedback that will lead you to grow and develop as a professional
- Appreciate a work environment where you are supported, encouraged, and sometimes pushed to learn new things or consider doing things differently
The physical demands listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities:
- Typing, writing, reading, hearing, and speaking
- Standing and walking for several hours, as well as sitting, squatting, crawling, climbing, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time benefited, and exempt position that includes healthcare, holidays, and paid time off. The salary range for this position is $53,000 – $57,000 per year. Comprehensive benefits include:
- 100% coverage for self and 50% coverage of dependents in a Silver tier Kaiser Permanente plan or its equivalent in our carrier’s options
- 80% coverage of dental insurance for self
- Paid vacation days beginning at 15 days – 20 days in second year – incremental increase to 25 days
- 5 paid sick days per year
- Up to 20 paid holidays (a mix of both national and Jewish holidays)
- Tax-free retirement account after 2 years
- A pre-tax FSA for medical, dependent care, and transit
- Paid and unpaid parental, medical, and bereavement leave (following 1 year of employment)
- Paid jury duty leave
- Unpaid time off
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. General hours of employment are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday. The Farm Associate may occasionally be asked to work on an evening or weekend, for which correlating time off will be given and, on occasion, more than 40 hours per week, in which case they earn overtime pay.
This position is supervised by the Farm Director.
We deeply value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds. This includes Black, Indigenous, Latino, and Asian people, LGBTQ, and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities, Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrachi Jews. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds. We affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INCLUDES…
Cover letter, resume, three professional references with how you know them, and responses to the following question. Bullet pointed lists are welcome as responses to the question, if preferred by the applicant. (maximum 200 words).
- Please share how you personally relate to Urban Adamah’s mission. (max 200 words)
- How has your personal background and lived experience prepared you to contribute to Urban Adamah’s commitment to cultural responsiveness, and diversity, equity, and inclusion?
Applications will be received and reviewed until Friday, July 22, 2022. After this time, we may continue to review applications on a rolling basis, however, encourage candidates to apply before the deadline and/or as soon as possible. If you have any questions about the application or the position, please contact the Farm Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.